Saturday, October 10, 2009

Who decides the appropriate age difference for a couple?

Is there a council?
If so, I want to be on it.

I never really thought about it a whole lot until recently.
I recently started talking to a guy who is 11 years older than me. At first it wasn't supposed to be anything at all. We just talked, and I humored him. But then it became something more. I want to be with him...a lot. But everytime I begin to consider the possibility, I thin of my dad.
I remember a time when a woman at our church married a man much older than her, and my dad did nothing but disapprove. His words were, "If he is marrying her, there is something wrong with him because they could have nothing that in common that he would want to. He must have some other motive." That's all I can think about whenever I consider being with this man. I'm at a crossroads.

I am now an adult, and can make my own decisions. He can't tell me what to do. But he's still my daddy. I want him to approve of the person I am with. I love him. I can't live without him in my life.

But why should I have to choose?!

This brings me back to the council...if there is one out there somewhere. I want to be on it, so that I can say that love shouldn't have perameters. It should encompass all. Gender, Age, Race, Sexuality...none of this should matter when it comes to love. Not to say that I think I love him...because I certainly don't know that. But thats beside the point. Why are we discriminating so intensely, when as a country, we have worked so hard to eliminate it? Why can't people simply mind their own business, and love one another?

It is rediculous for anyone to say that any kind of love is wrong, or sinful. If you take your reasoning from the bible, you are a hypocrite. I would be willing to bet that you wear clothes made of mixed fibers. Is that wrong? No. Not by today's standards at all. We have Macy's Dillards Target Abercrombie and Fitch...etc.

Women today have rights. We are teachers, leaders, money-earners. That's ok, right? Sure. Susan B. Anthony fought for those rights, alongside thousands of others. Today, women are viewed as equals to men. Correct? Yes.

We don't discriminate against dwarfs, cripples, or the disabled, do we? I didn't think so...that would not only morally wrong, but it's against the law if I am correct. And I am.

So why do we pick and choose from the bible what is sinful, based on how we feel? How is that ok? Love is love. It's not the worlds business what to people do with their lives.

Who died and made you God?!

Haha, that went totally off topic, but I felt it should be said. =)

-Peace and Love,
Hailey

No comments: